Saturday, March 5, 2011

Archival Research: March 2011


I write this entry during my flight home from a week of research in the Historic Diocesan Archives of Santiago de Compostela and the archives of Universitario de Santiago de Compostela. The purpose of this brief trip was to double-check several documents pertaining to previous research, fill in a few gaping holes in the pedigree chart, and finally to discover other document types that might bring greater understanding to the family of Manuel Gosende Llanes and Manuela Sorribas CastaƱo. I invited my step-mom to accompany me during this research trip. She has ancestors that come from this region in Spain; I am very grateful for her help and encouragement. The intensity of the research and the encompassing focus of the work made it feel as though a whole month passed during a week’s time!  

Outside the  Historic University of Santiago de Compostela Archive March 2011

Sometimes archival research can be frustrating, especially when the family surnames begin to play games with your head. The dual surname pattern found in Spanish research necessitates clearly defined research goals. Because of the strict rules outlined in each archive’s web pages and my previous experiences in this region of Spain, I assumed that the there was no way to help myself overcome my inadequate memory. Without my TO DO LIST and computer database right next to me the more I searched the more confused I became. Luckily, on Tuesday I noticed another researcher brought his computer into the research room.  On my way out of the Diocesan archive I finally gathered the courage to ask if it was possible to bring my computer and papers into the work area. I was so pleased when they said yes! I am happy to report that Thursday and Friday were very productive workdays. My step-mom and I worked feverishly to make up for lost time. The lessons learned from this experience: 
1.     Never assume.
2.     Always ask for clarification and help.
3.     Double check the rules once you arrive at the archive. 
4.     Don’t assume what you read on the internet is always correct.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got so much done! Now time to digest what it sounds like a crazy week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listened to your podcast. How fun to hear the experiences of your step-mom. You should put a blog explaining your podcast so more people will listen to it.

    ReplyDelete